Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix - Overview
This Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix is needed now more than ever. If you thought you had battery drain problems before the update, it’s gotten much worse. Wouldn’t you agree? We’ve looked into this new development (with not much help from our service provider) and come up with one major culprit: the Apps on the phone.
It appears that many Apps are turning themselves on and running without us even knowing about it! We think that the long term solution for fixing Droid Phone battery drain is another operating system update or for the apps to be updated. But let’s face it, we don’t want to wait that long. We want to fix our battery issues right now! We’re about to get serious with our app killing and we’ll show you how, below.
Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix - Advanced Task Killer
We’ve mentioned it in other tutorials, but now we’re recommending you use more features on the Advanced Task Killer by Rechild (found in the Android Market). At one point we considered this an optional App.
Now, it’s critical. Use these settings below and be amazed. Assuming that you have installed the App, change the settings on Advanced Task Killer as follows:
- Start Advanced Task Killer.
- Press Menu.
- Press Settings.
- On the View setting, check “show notification”. (This will show Advanced Task Killer on your top notification bar allowing you to use it frequently and easily.)
- Next, Scroll to the Auto Kill section.
- Set Auto Kill to “crazy”.
- Press Auto Kill Frequency.
- Select “When Screen Off”.
Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix - Restart Advanced Task Killer
What we’ve just done is tell your phone to close all apps when your screen turns off. This will significantly improve your battery life. Because you selected “When Screen Off” for Advanced Task Killer, you will need to restart Advanced Task Killer. Here’s how:
- Start Advanced Task Killer.
- Check Advanced Task Killer to be one of the programs to be Killed.
- Select KILL apps.
- Start Advanced Task Killer again (you may need to find it in your App storage area).
- Now, Uncheck Advanced Task Killer from the list of Apps to Kill so that it will not shut itself off any more.
- Press KILL apps.
Now you can manually kill apps or let your Droid kill them for you every time your screen turns off.
Watch this lesson on video: Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix Video.
Use My Droid “Power Tip”
Power Tip #1
Some Apps have a mind of their own. Take Google’s “Voice Search” for instance. This App doesn’t take die for an answer. Let’s look at another way to kill this program and any other like it that like to turn themselves on and won’t go away properly.
- Using the settings mentioned above, open up your notifications from the top.
- Select Advanced Task Killer. You should see a list of running Apps.
- Long press on Voice Search.
- Press kill.
Power Tip #2
Advanced Task Killer will not kill the alarm clock. Want proof? Check this out:
- Open Advanced Task Killer.
- Press the Menu button.
- Press the Info button.
- Scroll through the list. Version 1.9.3 has a note that says, “Ignore Alarm Clock for Security Level High”
This is good news. If you’ve taken the time to set an alarm, you definitely don’t want that alarm shut off. You could be late for a very important date!
These settings on Advanced Task Killer should drastically improve your battery life. Give it a try. Whether you find it good or bad, let us know how it’s working out for you. Or you can always get an extra battery!
We have other battery saving tutorials available, too. Check them out on our Droid Tutorial page.
Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix – Please Comment
Has this Android 2.2 Battery Life Fix tutorial been helpful? Do you have other battery saving tips you would like to share with others? Please leave a comment below – Thanks.